Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Have Not Fallen Off the Face of the Planet!

It just dawned on me today that I haven't had a blog post in a week (gasp!). I'm usually not that much of a slacker. But.....if you knew how crazy things have been in my life lately, well...you'd understand. :o) It would also explain why I have no pics to go along with this post, but maybe I'll be able to get to that soon.


First of all, I've been working on some updates to our house. Not big ones, mind you, but little things that have made a dramatic difference. You may remember a few weeks ago that DH and I invested in some new furniture for our dining room and living room. Both purchases were very much needed, and will be a huge help when we have the whole family over for Thanksgiving. But to go along with that, I've been wanting to paint a few rooms since we moved in a year and a half ago. Right before we moved in, the previous homeowners repainted all the walls the same color throughout the whole house, and it was a warm cream color. Also, when they painted, it appears that they never put up the first piece of painter's tape, so all the trim in the house has splotches of the wall color on it. And so basically....painting has been a job waiting to happen.

The first room I wanted to target was the master bedroom. We picked out the most gorgeous shade of blue for the walls, and I made it by the skin of my teeth with just one gallon of paint! :o) And of course, we needed to take care of the trim, too.....but it's oh so much more exhausting to paint the trim, IMO. In addition to the trim in the bedroom, we also have a window seat and built-in bookshelf that would need to be painted, too. But here's the blessing in disguise.... I initially chose white for the trim because eventually, all the trim in the house will need to be redone. But then, I changed my mind (yep, females are allowed to do that as much as we want). I decided I should keep it the off-white color that's already there. So, when I went to the store to return the white paint I had already bought, I had to have some off-white paint mixed. I found the most generic shade of off-white I could find, and miracle of all miracles, it is a dead-on match to what's already on the trim! I got so excited because now, I don't have to break my neck getting all the trim painted....I can just do a little bit at a time! At least for now....I have a completely repainted bedroom! YAY!


In addition to the master bedroom, we also chose to repaint our guest bathroom. The difference in there now is like daylight and dark. Of course, that same cream color was in there, and that poor bathroom had no personality whatsoever. So, now....it's a beautifual pastel blue that had a hint of lilac in it....just a peaceful color that you can get lost in, no joke. I'm planning to hang a picture in there from my in-laws trip to Hawaii....when I get a copy of it, I'll post it on here, too. Once you see it, the picture looks like it's black-and-white, but it really is a color photo. It is the most beautiful picture of the ocean with the sun breaking through the clouds as it sets....I can't wait until I have it hanging up in the bathroom. :o)


So as you can imagine, my reading time lately has been minimal at best. I've been doing good to get 50 pages read per day. Also, on top of all that, I've started looking for a part-time job so we can afford some more updates that will need to be done before we try to sell the house in a couple of years. Keep me in your prayers that I'll be able to find something that'll give me about 10-15 hours more per week, but not run me ragged at the same time.


Oh, and I don't want to forget to send a big thank you to Renee and Beth for passing along the Kreativ Blogger Award to me recently. You gals are the best!


5 comments:

  1. Hey Christy! I'm glad to know you're okay...I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you in awhile. :)

    It sounds like you're having LOADS of fun! LOL I can't wait to see the pix...your spare bath sounds like it will be beautiful with the beach photo.

    My prayers are with you!
    ~ Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you hate paint on the trim? I can't believe they left it like that. I look forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to share the chuckle I got when I read the part about hanging the photo in the bathroom - I first read it as you couldn't WAIT to hang that photo of your in-laws in the bathroom! heehee ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have been busy! I wish I could say I liked painting and all that because almost our whole house needs it. They put one coat of flat paint - the same off white color - everywhere. Every time we wipe the walls, it comes off... and the house is now old enough that there are nicks and marks... Plus off white everywhere is boring. I hate to paint though. I really do.

    I can't wait to see pictures. I know it's going to look fantastic!

    I have to laugh - because I gave you that award too - I just have been so tired and worn down (some kind of cold/flu bug has hit our house) that I posted it on my blog and didn't get to posting the links on everyone's blog -- so the only people who saw the award were those who happened to stop by. I am so sorry. I guess you know you really deserve it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you have been busy! Sorry I didn't stop by sooner but I left Friday to go to Ohio! I'll bet your house will look awesome! Can't wait to see the pics! And you're welcome for the award! :-P

    xoxo~ Renee

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)