Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck by Kathleen Y'Barbo/4 Stars

About the book:

Unlikely romance is sometimes just an inconvenient marriage away

Charlotte Beck may be entering adulthood, but she can’t seem to keep to her stubborn, independent spirit from bucking social protocol. Fed up with her behavior, Charlotte’s father Daniel pressures her to settle into a nice marriage despite knowing she is set on going to college. Then Daniel sees Charlotte with the handsome but annoying English astronomer Alex Hambly, and everything changes.

Though Alex and Charlotte can barely stand one another, Daniel offers them a deal they can’t refuse: if they agree to marry, he will save Alex’s family from financial ruin and grant Charlotte the freedom to go to college. Reluctantly the couple agrees, but in private they plot to annul the marriage as soon as possible.

But when Alex’s feelings change and he refuses to dissolve their contract, will Charlotte find a way out of her vows? Or will she discover that maybe this marriage isn’t so inconvenient after all?

My thoughts:

Oh, what a wonderful ending to this series!  There were beautiful dresses, luxurious homes, travel between London and the States, and if that wasn't enough...a match made in heaven (although it took the longest time for either to see it that way). Buffalo Bill was even thrown in for good measure.  :o)  It was a truly wonderful ride through history to have a peek into the lives of the Beck family, and I'm sorry that our time has come to an end.

Charlotte has definitely been the spunkiest character of this entire series.  She charmed her way into my heart as a pick-pocket in the first book, and grew into a confident young woman eager to prove herself as good as a man in the business world in this book.  But a certain young viscount kept getting in her way!  Geez, what's to be done about these men?!  :o)  From the opening chapter where she literally fell into his arms to the verbal sparring matches they had with one another about all those "agreements," I couldn't get enough of their story.  Naturally, I expected that their marriage would have taken place sooner in the book, but the sequence of events that led up to it was timed just right.  And lest I get too carried away with sharing all of the story, the last section of the book which focused on their married life was the very best, in my opinion.  I'll leave it at that.  :o)

Kathleen truly has a great gift with words, and it's been a privilege to read her work.  Throughout this book (as well as the previously written Anna Finch and the Hired Gun), I couldn't seem to erase the smile from my face.  I'm oh-so-anxious to read whatever she cooks up next, and here's to hoping that next book will have at least one sassy character...I can't seem to get enough of them!

4 Stars

Southern? No
Sass?  Oh, heaps of it!

**Many thanks to the author for providing a copy for review.

Could I trouble you a moment to rank my review?  I would so appreciate it!



**And one more thing...if you haven't read it yet, be sure to check out my interview with Kathleen.  She's giving away a copy of this great book, so you don't want to miss it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)