Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Book Review: Submerged by Dani Pettrey/4 Stars

About the book:

A sabotaged plane. Two dead deep-water divers. 

Yancey, Alaska was a quiet town...until the truth of what was hidden in the depths off the coast began to appear.
 

Bailey Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey again. She has a past, and a reputation--and Yancey's a small town. She's returned to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash and is determined not to stay even an hour more than necessary. But then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's own expertise becomes invaluable for the case.
 

Cole McKenna can handle the deep-sea dives and helping the police recover evidence. He can even handle the fact that a murderer has settled in his town and doesn't appear to be moving on. But dealing with the reality of Bailey's reappearance is a tougher challenge. She broke his heart, but she is not the same girl who left Yancey. He let her down, but he's not the same guy she left behind. Can they move beyond the hurts of their pasts and find a future together?

My thoughts:

What a fabulously suspenseful novel from debut author Dani Pettrey!! Never before have I read a book with such a great mix of historical elements balanced against heart-pounding action. Considering that Dani's novel was set in Alaska, it wasn't far-fetched to include some intriguing Russian components, and believe me, they made the story. I normally shy away from Russian history or talk of czars and such in fiction, but the way it was presented here was so very interesting! Dani may have just gotten me a little farther outside my comfort zone in books here... :o)

The only thing (and truly, this really was the only thing) that I didn't care for were the character's names. With the exception of one or two, they were all a bit too faddish for me, and truthfully, a bit difficult to tell them apart in the beginning. I'm hoping for at least a few people to have more normal names in book two.

In spite of that one qualm, I can't wait to see what Dani has in store for these Alaska folks next! My guess is that it will be another gripping adventure full of twists and turns, and it'll be great for this reader to make a return trip to Yancey. :o)

4 Stars

Southern?  No
Sass?  No

**Many thanks to the author for providing a copy for review.

 

1 comment:

  1. Just got done reading this one, Christy. I really (really) liked it! I thought the names were great - I loved that they were different but I did find the opening a tad confusing or not well set up. Still three chapters in, I was lost to the story... in a good way!

    Cannot wait for Shattered!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)