Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Book Review: Through Thick and Thin by Sandra Byrd

About the book:

Savvy Smith, 15, sees her chance to write a full column in the paper, making her name and making her way in her new hometown near London, England. But the choices she faces when given the chance to choose between friends, family, and fame may turn her dream into a nightmare.

London Confidential is a new series where British fashion, friendships, and guys collide, and an all-American girl learns to love life and live out her faith.

My thoughts:

Sandra's style of writing is at the top of the list...seriously. I love how she can take a seemingly ordinary story, add a little pinch of quirkiness, and create some of the best books I've read in a long time. Oh, and I failed to mention, ahem....London!

Even though Through Thick and Thin is a young adult novel (and I've certainly passed that stage in my life), there is something here for everyone regardless of age. In this series, Savvy has to learn to navigate a whole new way of life in a foreign country and a new school to top it off. A tad daunting, right? But ya know, Savvy has got more maturity in her pinky finger than I did when I was her age. Granted, this is fiction, but it's still nice to read about a girl that has some respect for her parents, and knows how to learn from her mistakes.

And uh, I'm sure it's obvious that I can't wait to read the rest of this series! If you've never checked out any of Sandra's books, the perfect one to start with would be Let Them Eat Cake for an adult novel, or book one of this series, Asking for Trouble, for a young adult novel. Either way, you won't be disappointed!

Click here to read my review of Asking for Trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)