Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Reading Meme

I came across this today at A Guy's Moleskin Notebook, and knew this was a meme for me. :o)

1. Do you remember learning to read? How old were you? My parents tell me that I could write my name and my ABC's when I was 2. I started kindergarten at age 4, and could read some before starting school.

2. What do you find most challenging to read? Poetry is a definite struggle. I didn't enjoy it at all in English Comp., and I have not read it since.

3. What are your library habits? I usually visit one at least once a week. There is a large public library system in Memphis with several branches, 2 of which are close by for me. Then, there's my church library that I may visit every other week.

4. Have your library habits changed since you were younger? Well, instead of checking out every single copy of The Baby Sitter's Club, I now browse for whatever Christian fiction titles I can find! LOL! The public library has a decent selection of Christian fiction, and there's quite a lot that they carry that I have yet to read. My church library, of course, only has Christian books.

5. How has blogging changed your reading life? I enjoy the reviews I find on other people's blogs. If I'm out at a bookstore and see a book that I read about through someone's review on their blog, I'm more likely to buy (of course, that's assuming the review was good).

6. How often do you read a book and not review it on your blog? What are your reasons for not blogging about a book? If I don't have something positive to say about a book, then I usually don't post a review about it. If I've been sent a copy of a book specifically to read it and write a review, then each one of those gets a review.

7. What percentage of your books do you get from new book stores, second hand books stores, the library, online exchange sites, online retailers, other? I would say about 10% of the books I own I purchase new. Probably 5% would be books that I've won or received to do a review. The other 85% of books I own would be from all of the other places mentioned.

8. What are your pet peeves about the way people treat books? Books that have a curled cover because of it being wrapped around, books that have dog-eared pages, and books that smell.

9. Do you ever read for pleasure or for work? Pleasure

10. When you give people books as gifts, how do you decide what to give them? Several members of my family are bookworms, so I usually have a pretty good idea of what they would enjoy. I keep up with who their favorite authors are, or if they've mentioned a book to me that they would like to have at some point.

3 comments:

  1. ok this is going to sound lame but what's a meme?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best definition is here:

    http://thedailymeme.com/what-is-a-meme/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right! What a splendid definition!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)