Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Book Review: Making Waves by Lorna Seilstad/4 Stars

About the book:

It's 1895, and spunky Marguerite Westing is thrilled to discover that her family will summer at Lake Manawa! Escaping her boring suitor, Roger, Marguerite stumbles upon two new loves---sailing and her instructor, Trip. But when her father's gambling threatens to ruin them all, will she marry Roger to save her family's name and fortune?

My thoughts:

What a fun, fun book!  I knew from the first second I saw the cover that I was going to be in for an adventure.  All I had to do was take one look at Marguerite's face on the front cover and I knew that's she's gotten herself into something, most likely trouble.

If I had Camilla Westing for a mother, I'm afraid I'd run away from home!  I think she meant well in her own way, but her actions caused Marguerite to distance herself as far as possible.  Thankfully, she had the sweetest father in the wide world, who made the great suggestion of spending their summer at the beautiful Lake Manawa.  What an adventure that turned out to be!  Lake Manawa was the perfect place for Marguerite to discover a new love in sailing, and also in a certain handsome sailor.

The sailing, the swimming, and all sorts of other fun activities made this book so enjoyable to read.  It made me wish that I had enough free time to spend an entire summer at a lake with no obligations.  Since that's no where close to being possible, it was nice to live vicariously through Marguerite and imagine that adventure.  I am most anxious to see what Lorna has in store next at Lake Manawa. 

4 Stars

Southern?  No
Sass?  Yes

**Many thanks to Revell Publishing for providing a copy for review.

**Click here to purchase a copy of Making Waves by Lorna Seilstad.

2 comments:

  1. This one was just a lot of fun!

    I hope everything is ok with your husband. I'll certainly say a prayer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly! He's doing so much better now...home and trying to stay comfortable. :O)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)