Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Review: Plain Wisdom by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud/5 Stars

About the book:

Two friends from different worlds—one Old Order Amish, one Englischer—share the truths that bring them together.

Best-selling novelist Cindy Woodsmall might seem to have little in common with Miriam Flaud, a woman immersed in the culture of Old Order Amish. But with nine children and almost 60 years of marriage between them, Cindy and Miriam both have found the secrets to facing life with strength and grace. Whether enduring financial setbacks, celebrating new babies and times of prosperity, grieving the crushing losses in the deaths of family and friends, or facing disappointments with their respective communities—through it all they find guidance for each day by looking to God.
With poignant recollections, unexpected insights, and humorous tales, the two women welcome you into their unique friendship. You’ll also gain a rare glimpse into the traditions and ways of the Amish as Miriam recalls special occasions and shares family recipes throughout the book.

Plain Wisdom is a heartwarming celebration of God, womanhood, and the search for beauty that unites us all. So grab your cup and your quilt and settle in for a soul-comforting read with Plain Wisdom.

My thoughts:

Let me just say that I enjoyed this book way more than I ever expected to!  When I first started reading it, I would read a couple of pages here, a couple there, and I didn't invest a lot of time with it in the very beginning.  I finally decided to pick it up again a couple of days ago, and really allowed myself to enjoy it fully. 

Well....the rest was history!  In no time flat, it became nearly impossible to put down!  I soaked up each chapter, and the wisdom contained within.  Some chapters spoke to me more than others, and some had morsels of wisdom that I would go back and read again. 

Even though Miriam and Cindy are from two completely different worlds, they share how similar they really are.  Whether it was the daily tasks of being a mother, their commitments to their husbands, or their devotion to their friends, their goals were the same.  They've trusted God to lead and direct their lives, and let Him shine through them to bless others.

I think that anyone that reads this book will have something that speaks to them.  My moment came almost at the very end in the chapter called "Opportunity for the Taking."  Now, I have been a procrastinator all my life, and no, it's not something that I'm proud of.  I've missed deadlines, had to eat some crow on a few occasions where I didn't step up to the plate like I should have, and missed opportunities for all sorts of things that I would've enjoyed being a part of, whether it was a benefit to me or a benefit to someone else.  Well, this one little statement that Miriam made in this chapter brought it all into perspective for me--"One little deed done in time is worth more than a thousand good intentions."  I had to stop right there and say a little prayer that God would help me take action quicker on the things that are important, and to focus my time on things that are meaningful.

This book was such a blessing to me, and I have no doubt that it will be to so many people.  For folks that are fans of Amish fiction (like me), this book provides a handful of insights into the daily routines of the Amish.  It's a very quick read with short chapters, and there's even a few tasty recipes scattered throughout.  I hope you'll take the time to read Plain Wisdom, and I pray it will be a blessing to you as it was to me.

5 Stars

Southern? No
Sass?  No

**Many thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah for providing a copy for review through their Blogging for Books Program.  If you enjoyed my review, please visit this link to rate it (I'd really appreciate it!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm always amazed at how God uses the written word in our lives. I think timing is everything. I can brush off something one day that really hits home the next. Thanks for sharing how God used this in your life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)