Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book Review: The Measure of Katie Calloway by Serena Miller/5 Stars

About the book:


Her heart seeks sanctuary in the deep woods. But will trouble find her even here?

The Civil War has ended, but in Katie Calloway's Georgia home, conflict still rages. To protect herself and her young brother from her violent and unstable husband, she flees north, finding anonymity and sanctuary as the cook in a north woods lumber camp. The camp owner, Robert Foster, wonders if the lovely woman he's hired has the grit to survive the never-ending work and harsh conditions of a remote pine forest in winter. Katie wonders if she can keep her past a secret from a man she is slowly growing to love.

With grace and skill, Serena Miller brings to life a bygone era. From the ethereal, snowy forest and the rowdy shanty boys to the warm cookstove and mouth-watering apple pie, every detail is perfectly rendered, transporting you to a time of danger and romance.

My thoughts:

I never knew spending time with an ornery old cook, a group of dirty loggers, and a frightened Indian who could barely speak would make for one of the best historical books I've read all year!  Serena Miller successfully transported me to the cold forests of Michigan with this charming tale, and I absolutely hated to leave.  While I enjoyed the ebb and flow of camp life, as well as the subtle romance that steadily built between Katie and Robert, what I really loved to read about was the food.  Oh, the food!  Juicy apple pie, warm peach cobbler, and mouth-watering flapjacks had me itching to jump into the kitchen to cook up a mess of yummy food!  The one thing that would have made the book complete would've been some recipes at the end.  :o)  Oh, well...  It was still a delightful book. 

Serena Miller's realistic tale of life after the Civil War was one that deserves a permanent place on the keeper shelf.  I'm anxious to recommend it to my friends and family, and as far as I'm concerned, her next book can't get here soon enough!

5 Stars

Southern?  Yes
Sass?  No

**Many thanks to Revell for providing a copy for review.



3 comments:

  1. I am totally unfamiliar with Serena, but after reading your book review, I will order her book to put in the library and see how the women respond.If you are that excited about her book, it has to be good!

    Candace Betts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems to be getting really good reviews. Like Candace, I'd not heard of this author, but am thinking I'll have to check out this novel. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too. It surprised me how much I enjoyed it, but it was just terrific. Katie is such a terrific character.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)