Friday, December 30, 2011

Do You Like Your Plots Served with a Twist? Comin' Right Up! - Accused by Janice Cantore

Going into the new year, it's my intention to read more books outside of my historical fiction comfort zone.  With that said...what a great way to end 2011 in this excellent new suspense novel by Janice Cantore--Accused.

Before reading Accused, I had never even heard of Janice, and had no idea that she's been writing books for a few years now.  I thought I would be getting an early peek at a debut author (considering this book doesn't release for another month).  Well...no debut here, but nonetheless, Janice is definitely an author I'll be reading more from in the future!  She does what all authors should do, in my opinion...write what they know.  Being a veteran police officer-turned-author, her knowledge and expertise in law enforcement shines through much of this story.

Accused is also a very appealing read for those who want a little romance with their suspense, and the mix here is just right--not too much so that it's corny, but not too little to make you think no one has a heart.  :o)  It is all-the-more believable since Carly and Nick are divorced, and Carly still carries a great amount of bitterness toward Nick because of their split.

But the icing on the cake here is the plot itself!  It is so twisted that you won't come up for air until the very last page!  The bad guys in this story are all over the place, too, and just when I think I've got one pegged, another one rears his ugly head.  To me, that's what makes a good suspense novel.  Give me a little something to figuratively chew on, while keeping me glued to the pages at the same time, and I'm a fan for life.

If there's anything to dislike here, it would be the spiritual elements.  Now, since I read nothing but Christian fiction, you'd think I wouldn't have a problem with this, but this is the first book that I've read in awhile that is as preachy as this one is.  Carly has some major issues with anything concerning God, and her disinterest initially is a little repetitive.  It's not until after the funeral that the preachiness starts to become overwhelming.  I understand that everyone in her circle wants to be a witness to her, but it's all just laid on a little too thick here.  I think if maybe just one character, perhaps two, had not shared their personal testimony, it would've helped the overall flow of the story a great deal.

So, with a mixed bag of thoughts, Accused is still a great read, and gets a high recommendation from me if just for the suspense alone.  Out of 5 stars, it easily gets 5, but the preachiness causes me to bring the overall rating to a 4.  I am so glad there is a sneak peek into book 2, Abducted, included in the back because I'm anxious to see how Carly performs in her usual element of patrolling the streets, a job she was not allowed to do in Accused.  Oh, and not to mention what happens between her and a certain someone...gotta get the juicy details on that.  :o)

4 Stars

Southern?  No
Sass?  No

Summary of Accused:

Detective Carly Edwards hates working in juvenile—where the brass put her after an officer-involved shooting—and longs to be back on patrol. So when a troubled youth, Londy Atkins, is arrested for the murder of the mayor and Carly is summoned to the crime scene, she's eager for some action. Carly presses Londy for a confession but he swears his innocence, and despite her better judgment, Carly is inclined to believe him. Yet homicide is convinced of his guilt and is determined to convict him.

Carly's ex-husband and fellow police officer, Nick, appears to be on her side. He's determined to show Carly that he's a changed man and win her back, but she isn't convinced he won't betray her again.

As the investigation progresses, Carly suspects a cover-up and strikes out on her own, uncertain whom she can trust. But when danger mounts, she begins to wonder if she made the right choice.


**Many thanks to Tyndale House through NetGalley for providing a copy for review. 

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great book - I'll definitely be watching for it.

    Happy 2012, Christy. I hope the new year brings great things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love a good suspense! I'll be watching for this one. Always appreciate your candid reviews :)

    Have a Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too! Can't wait for the next book in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book. Great review! Hugs and have a wonderful New Year!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to know you enjoyed this one! I was curious about its upcoming release but sometimes I'm iffy on taking the plunge and trying debut authors. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I'll be on the lookout for this one too as I really like suspense and this is a new author to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)