Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Book Review: Ruby Among Us by Tina Ann Forkner/4 Stars

About the book:

Lucy DiCamillo is safely surrounded by her books, music, and art–but none of these reclusive comforts or even the protective efforts of her grandmother, Kitty, can shield her thoughts from the mother she can barely recall. Lucy senses her grandmother holds the key, but Kitty seems as eager to hide the past as Lucy is eager to find it.

From the streets of San Francisco and Sacramento to the lush vineyards of the Sonoma Valley, Lucy follows the thread of memory in search of a heritage that seems long-buried with her mother, Ruby.

What she finds is as enigmatic and stirring as it is startling in this redemptive tale about the power of faith and mother-daughter love.

My thoughts:

I generally shy away from reading books by a brand new author, but I was glad I made an exception in this case. Ruby Among Us is a positively beautiful story! I loved the vivid descriptions throughout the book of the gardens, the vineyards, and the town of La Roseleda itself. The author kept me turning the pages waiting to discover secrets that had been kept in this family for many years.

The only thing I thought lacking in this book was the Christian message, which was just far too subtle for my tastes. I noticed the themes of grace and forgiveness, but there was very little shared about personal relationships with Christ.

3 Stars

Southern? No
Sass?  No

**Many thanks to the publisher for providing a copy for review.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)