Saturday, September 13, 2008

Book Review: Come to Me by Laura Davis/5 Stars


This month, the CFRB is featuring Come to Me by Laura Davis

About the book:

Journey back in time and rediscover the Jesus you never knew. See Him through His mother's eyes as she tells the story of her son. Share in Mary's joy at the birth of the Saviour and mourn with her at the foot of the cross. Come to Me is a story about the faith and obedience of a young girl whose absolute trust in God set in motion a chain of unprecedented events. It is a moving tale of the life of Christ from the mother who raised him to become the Saviour of the World. (Taken from Bordersstores.com)

My thoughts:

Come to Me was like no other story that I have ever read that portrayed the life of Christ. At first, I admit that I was a bit skeptical because biblically-based historical fiction is one of my favorite genres to read and I've read so many versions of Christ's story as told by other authors. But then, there's Laura Davis...... She wrote about the life of Christ through Mary's eyes, and it was simply amazing! When I finished it, I couldn't help but think to myself, "This book would be such a great witnessing tool! If I knew someone who was lost, I would just hand them this book!" There is so much Scripture packed into this book, but it is not preachy. It is just told as a story from Mary's point of view, and as you are reading, it almost feels like you're there.

Mary's character is so engaging, a little bit of a tease, as well as a bit like the girl next door. I enjoyed getting more of a glimpse of what might have been Jesus' younger years before the incident at the temple when he was about His Father's business. Joseph and Mary's relationship also seemed more like how I would picture them....young and in love, but at the same time, nervous about their duties as parents to the Son of God.

So many other portrayals of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus seem to be uptight (whether it's in a book or movie format), but this book is so refreshing, realistic, and natural. I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to reading more from Laura Davis in the future!

5 Stars!

Southern?  No
Sass?  No

**Many thanks to the author for providing a copy for review.



_____________________________________

If you'd like more information about Laura Davis and her debut novel, please visit her website at
http://www.authorlauradavis.com/



5 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I'm going to cry. Thank you for such a lovely review.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice review, Christy. I think you captured the essence of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this review, possibly the best, because it was simple, yet tackled a really complex issue, "Who was Jesus?" The answer, should always be, "Not was, but is! If you get to know Him yourself, then you'll know just what He's like." COME TO ME exuded this kind of simple understanding of a complex issue. For Mary, she had to grow into the understanding, even as the mother of our Lord. I particularly like how Laura shows Jesus distancing Himself from His mother so she would be spared a lot of pain. She was, however, still His mother, and there's little you can do to minimize that. Your post was as simple and as complex as Laura's book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds unique. I don't believe I have ever read anything which attempted to portray the life of Christ through Mary's eyes. God bless your endeavors. I will certainly check it out.Elaine

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)