Saturday, September 6, 2008

Book Review: When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Ice Cream by Laura Jensen Walker/4 Stars

About the book:

Funny woman Laura Jensen Walker has had her share of challenges--from surviving cancer to dealing with the untimely deaths of her brother and father. But whatever life throws her way, she laces it with determination, humor, faith, and a big bowl of ice cream. In this candid book, Laura offers a unique take on tough times and stressful days in one funny and flavorful story after another. Her delightful sense of humor will touch readers with the healing power of laughter, and her perceptive insights will leave readers wanting a second scoop, as she shows them that God is in control through all the rocky roads of life.

My thoughts:

First of all, let me just say that Laura Jensen Walker is great with humor!! I had already read one of her books, Dreaming in Black and White, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! She has a great knack of using just the right words to make you laugh and smile.

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Gets Ice Cream is a collection of personal stories that Laura has put together about different events in her life. I could definitely identify with her college experiences, especially with not knowing what I want to do with my life (choosing a major is not an easy thing). But I loved reading about her travels in Europe, whether it was because of work or going over there for pleasure. The stories weren't always about the good times. She talks about her struggles with breast cancer and deaths in her family. But through it all, there was always a bowl of ice cream nearby.

I typically don't read a lot of non-fiction, but the title and book cover alone compelled me to read this book. It was wonderful, light reading that gave me a good laugh at the end of some of my crazy days lately.

4 Stars

Southern?  No
Sass?  Some

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)