Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Book Review: Love Finds You in North Pole, Alaska by Loree Lough

About the book:

A former marine is no match for the spunky Sam Sinclair. Bryce Stone has returned to his hometown of North Pole, Alaska, and he’s not very happy about it. “The Town Where It’s Christmas All Year Long” does not appeal to the self-admitted scrooge. What’s worse, Bryce must postpone his dream of opening a furniture shop when his aunt Olive retires and leaves him to manage the family’s cluttered Christmas boutique. When Bryce underestimates Sam, the inexperienced young woman he hires to run the store, it becomes a battle of wills, and the two soon find that they’re fighting for more than just the shop.

My thoughts:

Loree has written another winner with Love Finds You in North Pole, Alaska! Her books are always so much fun, and I've never come across one that I didn't like. This one in particular is a perfect fireside read, especially with the snow and the obvious fact that it's set in Alaska. *grin*

I had a hard time deciding who my favorite character was because I couldn't help but like everybody! Sam's personality is so infectious, and she has that perfect "girl next door" quality. Bryce has a sort of mysterious air about him, and I could visualize him being a very handsome young man (even with the eye patch!). And Olive....you're not gonna get anything by her! I'm convinced that she's got eyes in the back of her head.

In addition to writing great characters, Loree's got a good dose of creativity when writing dialog for them. She throws in some really good one-liners every now and then, and somehow, those one-liners really add life to her stories. Here's one of my favorite lines by Olive:

"Hopefully by the time that pinchpenny Brooks realizes he passed over the prettiest girl in North Pole for that li'l whippersnapper, my hand-headed nephew will have fallen baseball cap over loafers in love with you."

If this book doesn't bring a smile to your face, then you must be a certified Scrooge! Love Finds You in North Pole, Alaska is perfect to read around the holidays, but could be enjoyed year-round. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for just the right mix of cold weather, romance, and laughter!

4 1/2 stars

**Come back tomorrow 'cause Loree will be here (YAY!) for another interview, and she's giving away one copy of Love Finds You in North Pole, Alaska!

6 comments:

  1. This has been on my wishlist for a while! I'm glad to hear it's a good read! I'll be back for the interview & giveaway tomorrow! ;-)

    xoxo~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book and I think I will read it after I finish what I'm reading now. Great review! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got my hands on a copy of LFY in North Pole Alaska!

    Now I'm really anxious to read it...your review was great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, a great big thank you to Christy for posting this review. You're a peach, girl, and if you were here, I'd just hug the stuffins outta ya!

    Second, I'm so grateful for everyone who has written to say they enjoyed LFY in North Pole, Alaska. Especially y'all who posted comments here. Does an author's heart good to "hear" good things about the stories they've worked so hard on!

    Last, my sweet doggy has chosen the gal who gets a free autographed copy of North Pole:

    Renee, I'm happy to inform you that Cash plopped his big clumsy paw on YOUR name.

    If you'll email me your address (loree@loreelough.com), I'll send the book asap.

    Again, thanks, everybody!

    Hope the Lord blesses each of you with a splendid week!

    Loree

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to borrow this one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yaay, it's a winner. Now I've got to finish it soon rather than later!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)