Tuesday, February 23, 2010

28-Day Organizing Challenge Week 3 Update

Well, I don't have a lot to report on an update for the past week, and unfortunately, no pics either. I have gotten a little bit more work done, mostly getting rid of more books (I've actually lost count by now, which is a good thing because I seem to be passing them on to other people left and right!). I've managed to empty and sort out 2 more boxes as well as gather up another bag of trash!!! Yay!! I feel like a drill sargeant now in regards to all this mess--"Head 'em up, and move 'em out!"

I have been working on the last few things that needed to be addressed that I mentioned in last week's update, and the big thing there has been the bookcases. I have reorganized my "book" bookshelf which has been the "in-and-out" station. The books that were there that needed to be filed into my collection alphabetically have been taken care of, and I am sticking to my guns about not getting loads and loads more of books for my own pleasure. :o)

I have also reorganized my craft bookshelf, and cleaned it up considerably. I've gotten some magazine files to sort some of the craft magazines and loose-leaf things that were in no sort of order. Now, everything has a place, and I know where to go to find it. Woohoo!!

I've also cleaned off the top of both bookcases and it's no longer just a gathering place for extras. I've neatly placed some of my larger jewelry display pieces up there out of the way, but easy to get to when I need to take them to a show.

I'm very pleased that I haven't needed to get a lot of extras to help me organize my room this month because I had a pretty good stash of storage bins in the attic that used to hold other things and were empty. So far, the only containers I've had to buy are the magazine files (a package of 6 for $12.99 at Office Depot....thought that was pretty good) and one 30qt storage tote. Hey, I'm loving the cost savings!

So, for the rest of this week, I need to focus on the little things--continuing to sort and toss stuff I don't need anymore. There are two more large boxes that I have in my closet that I have put off to the last minute that I'll need to tackle this week....not looking forward to that. I also need to get the curtain hung for the window.

Wish me luck as I only have 6 days left to complete this challenge! :o)

6 comments:

  1. Good for you, Christy! You've done a lot in less than 28 days...in fact, you're inspiring me to tackle my office! It's a 'catch all' room for anything/everything that doesn't yet have a permanent home. :(

    Love your new blog decor!

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lori!! It's been challenging at times, but somewhat theraputic as well. Just knowing that I'm not bogged down with so much stuff makes me feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christy, have you heard of PaperbackSwap.com? You can get rid of your books that way as well. You post your books on the site and if someone wants your book, all you do is pay media mail postage to ship it out. In exchange you get points for each book they receive and each point gives you the chance to pick out a (new-to-you) book. The person on that end pays the postage to send it to you. It is a win-win situation. You automatically get 2 points right off the bat when you post your first 10 books. It is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok-now I feel stupid. After I explained the whole "Paperback Swap" routine to you, I noticed on your side column that you do know about it. Oh well, maybe explaining it to you will help someone else. So sorry! Curious, have you posted any books on their lately? I would love to see what you have left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Deborah....that's ok! :o) Yep, I love PBS! ....and BookMooch ....and Swaptree. Oh, it's so dangerous, but very helpful. :o) I've been on there for at least 2 years now, and I've gotten soooo many books through them. Here's the link to my bookshelf on PBS:

    http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/members_books.php?m=ZytNOUU5OGU1V0U9

    I don't have any Christian fiction left...got rid of what I had of it last week sometime. Mostly, I have lots of hardbacks in several different genres. If you see anything you're interested in, let me know! Obviously, I'm trying to get rid of it all! :o)

    Thanks for explaining the routine...you're right, maybe someone else will see your comment and be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S., Deborah... If you do go to my bookshelf, will you send me a buddy request? That way I can follow what's on your shelf, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)