Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Book Review: Tomorrow's Garden by Amanda Cabot/4.5 Stars

About the book:

Harriet Kirk is certain that becoming Ladreville's schoolteacher is just what she needs--a chance to put the past behind her and give her younger siblings a brighter tomorrow. What she didn't count on was the presence of handsome former Texas Ranger Lawrence Wood--or the way he slowly but surely claims her fragile heart. But can Harriet and Lawrence ever truly put the past behind them in order to find happiness?


Readers will love this story of overcoming powerful odds and grabbing hold of happiness. Book 3 in the Texas Dreams series.

My thoughts:

Amanda Cabot has quickly become one of my go-to authors.  I can't even count the number of times I've recommended her books to my book friends....they're just that good!  Her latest offering is the last book in the Texas Dreams Series, and I'm so sad that my time with the citizens of Ladreville has come to an end.

I enjoyed seeing the town through the eyes of Lawrence and Harriet.  I have to confess that Lawrence wasn't one of my favorite characters in the last book.  He was too stiff and rugged for my taste, and his infatuation with Priscilla got annoying after awhile.  However, he was a completely different person in this book.  He said goodbye to the life of a Texas Ranger, and stepped into the dual roles of town sheriff and mayor, two jobs that suited him quite well.

Meanwhile, Harriet stepped in to fill the vacancy for school teacher in Ladreville.  Not only was she excited to be teaching in a new town, she was anxious to forge a new life for herself and her siblings.  I couldn't help but smile at the friendship that developed between Harriet and Isabelle.  Isabelle has been one of the most genuine characters throughout the series, and her sweet spirit in this book is not one that I'll soon forget.  If it hadn't been for Isabelle, poor Harriet would have never softened her uptight exterior.  She also would've been destined to be a victim of the Fashion Police for a LONG time if Isabelle hadn't come to her rescue!

Even more that the two previous books, I felt like I was a part of the town in Tomorrow's Garden.  I wanted to scream at Harriet that she needed to keep her distance from Karl.  I wanted to convince the townsfolk how important the bridge building was.  And I wanted to cheer with joy at Ruth's gradual growth into a more confident young woman.  Who wouldn't want to be part of such a community?  :o)

If you enjoy such authors as Lori Copeland and Kim Vogel Sawyer, I would strongly suggest you give Amanda Cabot a try.  Each book in this series has been filled with so much emotion, and all of them have been nearly impossible to put down!  I don't know how in the world I will be able to wait until next year to read her next offering which will be set in Wyoming.  :o)

4.5 Stars

Southern?  No (I don't consider Texas to be part of the South.)
Sass?  No

**Many thanks to Revell for providing a copy for review.

**Click here to read my review of book 1, Paper Roses.
**Click here to read my review of book 2, Scattered Petals.


5 comments:

  1. Her books sound really good to me! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good one. I've have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy -- I'm absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your time in Ladreville so much! I hated to leave there, too, but Wyoming beckoned. The good news is that the wait for the first of the Wyoming books isn't as long as it's been for my other books. Summer of Promise will be a January 2012 release.

    Carrie and Joy -- If you do pick up one of my books, I hope you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie and Joy ~

    As always, thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll check out Amanda's books soon. :o)

    Amanda ~

    It always brings a smile to my face when an author stops by! Glad to know that I'll get to read your next book sooner than I expected. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your book review and don't envy your painting projects (I have done a lot of it and like it best when it is done!). The book sounds like a good series for our library. I just got book one in and haven't had time to read it yet. I will be sure and get the other two. My ladies like the whole series at once and tend to leave a single book alone. When I don't know an author, I like to read the first one and make sure it is good and nothing wrong in it for a church library.I doubt that will be the case with this one.

    Keep up the good work Christy (book reviewing, not painting!). I look forward to your reviews.

    Candace Betts

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)