Friday, April 8, 2011

Top 10 Books I Just Had to Have....But Are Still Sitting on My Bookshelf



I saw two different blog posts today.  And yep, they were about books.  (Like you had to ask.)  :o)  Except it's about books that we haven't read yet.  Check out Bluerose's Heart and Reading to Know's posts to see where I got the idea to create my own list of Top 10 Books I Just Had to Have...But Are Still Sitting on My Bookshelf.

1.  Made from Scratch by Sandra Lee

I've wanted to read this book since I first heard about it, and I can't even remember how it made it to my shelf.  I saw a biography special on Food Network about Sandra Lee, and was so impressed with her resiliency and strength to do the best she could when she was growing up that I just had to read the book.



2.  Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert

There are tons of people that grew up as fans of Little House on the Prairie, and I am just one of thousands.  Laura was always my favorite character on the show because she was a Daddy's girl just like me.  And I used to think that Almonzo was just drool-worthy when I was a girl.  So yep, had to have the book.

3.  Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Somehow, I got hooked on reading memoirs about women that escaped a lifestyle of polygamy.  So far, I've read Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall and Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer.  (I also admit an addiction to the tv show, Big Love.)  A friend of mine recommended Escape to me as one of the best of the memoirs available, and I still haven't read it....ugh.

4.  And the Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers

The only book by Francine Rivers that I have not read.  I loaned it to my dad on a whim about 4 years ago because he had recently read Redeeming Love.  I think because the story was based on a pastor helped him relate more to it because he spent a number of years as a church pastor before I was born.  I'm just so embarrassed that I still have not read it to this day.

5.  The Heavens Before by Kacy Barnett-Gramckow

Another recommendation by a friend. 

6.  The Begotten by Lisa Bergren

Until The Begotten released, I had read everything by Lisa Bergren.  I don't know why I never actually read this one soon after I bought it.  Now, 2 whole series later (3 if you count her newest one), it's still sitting on my shelf. 

7.  The Perfect Life by Robin Lee Hatcher

I had to have this one for pretty much the same reason as The Begotten.  When I was in high school, I had managed to read everything by Robin Lee Hatcher that my library had available.  Once I got a job and some spending money, I bought the rest of her books that I hadn't been able to check out through the library.  I've read all of her books up to this one (and somehow, I haven't read the 2 that she wrote immediately after this one).

8.  Dreaming in Technicolor by Laura Jensen Walker

I got a copy of Dreaming in Black and White by Laura Jensen Walker from my library, and had a blast reading it!  Laura's sense of humor reminds me a lot of Tamara Leigh.  Only problem was that they didn't have this one to follow it....sigh.  A few years later, I managed to snag a copy through Paperbackswap.

9.  The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Binnings Ewen

I admit it...I bought this one just for the cover.  Something about it reminded me of The King and I...maybe it was that cool umbrella.  :o)  Or maybe it's the fact that it's set in Siam.

10.  Fields of Gold by Lisa Samson



Another one thanks to my library.  They had book one in this series (which I loved), but not book 2 or 3.  Book 3 is sitting on the shelf, too.  Took me awhile to get these because I don't believe they're readily available anymore.


So, that's my Top Ten list.  Now, I just want to hang my head and cry!  Like most of y'all, I read and read and read, but never seem to catch up.  And great books like these (well, hopefully they're all good) just have to patiently wait their turn.

Has anyone read any of these?  Any suggestions on where to start first?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did this!! :)

    I think I have And the Shofar Blew sitting on my shelf, too. I know I have one of those by Francine Rivers. And now you have me wanting Dreaming in Black and White/Technicolor.

    There's just so many great books to read. It makes it too hard on us book lovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read "And the Shofar Blew." It was good. I haven't read any of the others and don't have them on my shelves. I have tons of others though. I am so guilty of this I couldn't make a top ten list... It would be much, much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy~

    The first Dreaming book was really, really good, and I just picked it up on a whim. I'll probably need to re-read it just to have a clue before reading Technicolor.

    Lee~

    Thanks for letting me know about Shofar. And I had a hard time narrowing it down to ten. I tried to pick the ones that had been on my shelf the longest.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)