Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Book Review: Love Finds You in Last Chance, California


About the book:

It's 1889 and Alexia Travers is alone in the world. Her father has died unexpectedly, leaving her burdened with a heavily mortgaged horse ranch. Marrying one of the towns alltoowilling bachelors would offer an easy solution, but Alex has no interest in marriage. Instead, she dons men's clothing and rides the range, determined to make the ranch a success on her own.

Help arrives when Justin Phillips, an acquaintance of her father's, comes to Last Chance with his young son. Justin's and Alex's combined effort to save the ranch quickly turns into a fierce competition between cowboy and tomboy. But when disaster threatens Travers Ranch, they must work together to save someone they both love. Can these two independent people learn to depend on Godand on each other?

My thoughts:

Miralee Ferrell is an author that I’ve wanted to read for quite some time. When The Other Daughter was released, I thought, “Here’s my chance.” Unfortunately, I haven’t yet gotten a copy of that particular book, but I know that once I do, I’ll be in for a treat! In the meantime, her latest book is not one to be missed, either.

Love Finds You in Last Chance, California was such a pleasure to read. I was captivated by this little town, and even more intrigued when I discovered that the town actually existed (as do all of towns in the Love Finds You books, I’ve since discovered). Miralee definitely did her homework to find out as much as she could about Last Chance. Also, the characters that she created fit so well, and were exactly what I would expect to find in an old west town.

My favorite character in the story was Alexia Travers just because I saw many similarities in our personalities. She has a stubborn streak a mile long, and she always wants to prove that she can do something on her own first before she asks for help. So, when she’s immediately thrust into running her father’s ranch after his death, she thinks this is her big chance to prove her worth, especially to all the men who think she’s not up to the task. In walks drifter Justin Phillips--with baby in tow--asking to be a ranch hand. He turns out to be a very capable ranch hand, which makes her nervous that he'll try to one-up her since she's the one in charge. She senses there’s something that he’s not telling her, which brings a little bit of mystery into the story. Then, a girl named Christy shows up claiming to know something about Justin, and the plot thickens even more. By this time, I could not book the book down because I had no idea that I was going to get some mystery along with the romance!

No doubt about it…I think have found a new favorite author! Miralee has written a great book that I know will stay on my keeper shelf for a long time, and probably will be loaned to several friends, as well. Now, I just need to get my hands on her first book!

4 Stars

Southern?  No
Sass?  No
____________________________________________

Be watching tomorrow for my interview with Miralee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)