Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Book Review: The Bride Bargain by Kelly Eileen Hake

About the book:

When Clara Fields and her aunt are kicked off their wagon train, a store owner in Buttonwood offers a chance at redemption: if Clara can wed his grandson off to any of the local girls within a month, he’ll sign over his two story house. Desperate to provide for the woman who raised her, Clara agrees. How hard can it be to find a bride for one handsome doctor? More difficult than she imagined, when Saul Reed seems determined to remain a bachelor. Clara will need strong faith --- and all her wits --- to wrangle a resolution for THE BRIDE BARGAIN.

My thoughts:

This was a really cute and sweet story, and I truly enjoyed Kelly's fresh and lively style of writing. I was very impressed with how much she has been able to accomplish in her young career as a writer, and if this book is any indication, she's got a very bright future as an author. Even though this was a very predictable story, it was interesting enough to keep me engaged throughout, and from the halfway point to the end, I actually could not put it down! :o)

However, I do have one small complaint about this book. To me, it seemed that there was almost no Christian theme, which is the opposite of what I've read in some other reviews. I don't expect an author to lead me to Jesus everytime I read a Christian fiction novel, but I'd at least like them to get more of a spiritual message across. Fans of not-so-preachy novels would find this book appealing.

I am quite anxious to read book 2 of this series which, I believe, is supposed to explain more of the local town feud between the Specks and the Grogans. I'm also interested to know more of what's happening with Midge, Clara, and Dr. Reed, and the rest of the town of Buttonwood. After reading The Bride Bargain, Kelly Eileen Hake is definitely an author that I'll be reading in the future!

4 Stars

*This book was purchased by me.

**Click here to purchase your own copy of The Bride Bargain.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Christy! :)

    I really liked this book, and can't wait to read the rest of the series.

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lori!! I hope to start the next book in a day or so...I'm very anxious to know what happens in that little town next. *grin*

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)