Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Review: Angel's Den by Jamie Carie

About the book:

In 1808, when Emma meets and marries Eric Montclaire (the famed “most handsome man west of the Appalachians”), this young daughter of prominent St. Louis citizens believes a fairy tale has just begun. Instead, her husband’s angelic looks quickly prove only to mask a monstrous soul all too capable of possessive emotions and physical abuse. Praying for mercy, she is devastated when Eric insists on her joining his yearlong group expedition to the Pacific Ocean, following the trail Lewis and Clark blazed just a few years earlier. By the time cartographer Luke Bowen realizes Emma’s plight, it’s too late to easily untangle what has become an epic web of lies, theft, murder, courtroom drama, and a deep longing for love. Only God can show them the way out.

My thoughts:

I truly was captivated from the very beginning of this story with the start of new love and a beautiful wedding, but looks certainly were deceiving. What followed was a horrific tale of hidden abuse and pain experienced by Emma. Eric, her groom, was the epitome of all things hateful, and I absolutely despised his treatment of Emma. He made sure that no one knew, except her, what he was really like underneath his "beautiful" exterior.

While, by no means, I thought this was a bad book, I felt it had the potential to be just a little better than it was. For example, the ending felt rushed, and I would've liked the epilogue to have stretched out maybe 2 or 3 years rather than 7 years later. I also would've liked the book to have had more historical elements included in it, particularly about the Lewis and Clark Expedition. And unless I missed it, I think there was an important character left out of the trial at the end.

This was my first opportunity to read anything by Jamie Carie, and in spite of my mixed feelings of this book, I'm anxious to read more of her novels. Her portrayal of each character's emotions was superb, and that left me rooting for the good guys to succeed and the bad guys to fail. It also had a bit of an edgy quality about it, and that made me like it all the more. Angel's Den gets a solid 4 stars from me.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book, too! :) If you like this one, I just know you would LOVE her first book, Snow Angel! I think that one is my favorite of the three I've read by this author, although Love's First Light was good, too (but pretty intense considering the time period and place!).

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Christy! Thank you for your honesty.

    I'm on the fence about this one -- I can't decide if I'm "tough" enough to read it, of if I'll just be hoppin' mad the whole time. Abusive relationships are very hard for me to read about.

    Thanks again!

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,

    I have an e-copy of Snow Angel that I've been reading a little of here and there. So far, it's been very good, and I think I need to try to wrap it up soon now that I've read this one!

    Lori,

    It really was a pretty hard book to get through. Everything was resolved by the end, and overall, I'd say it was a good ending (except for my thoughts about the timing on the epilogue).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is on my TBR pile. After reading your review, it might have to move up in the pile. My curiousity is peaked.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)