Friday, July 9, 2010

Book Review: The Other Daughter by Miralee Ferrell

About the book:

Susanne Carson's well-ordered family life is thrown into devastating chaos when Brianna, a young teen, appears on her doorstep, claiming to be the daughter of Susanne's husband, David. The revelation of David's apparent betrayal adds strain to an already fragile marriage. Will this shocking discovery drive the family apart, or will it draw them closer to God?


My thoughts:

I had really high expectations before I started this book because I've recently read both of Miralee's historical novels in the Love Finds You series. In both of those books, her stories are clear and concise and her characters multi-faceted. However, I wasn't feeling that with The Other Daughter, her first novel. I thought the characters were a little dull, with the exception of Meagan and Brianna. I also thought the story was entirely too wordy with several chapters being somewhat repetitive. It wasn't until I got about 200 pages in (315 pages total) before I was really hooked on the story, and eager to find out what would happen to Brianna.

While this is not my favorite of her novels, it does still have a good storyline that would be tough for any family to deal with in real life. I have to confess, though, that I like her style with historical novels better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)