Sunday, May 29, 2011

Book Review: A Great Catch by Lorna Seilstad/5 Stars

About the book:

It is the beginning of a new century at Lake Manawa Resort in Iowa, but some things never change. When 22-year-old Emily Graham's meddlesome aunts and grandmother take it upon themselves to find her a husband among the resort guests, the spunky suffragist is determined to politely decline each and every suitor. She has neither the time nor the need for a man in her busy life.

Carter Stockton, a recent college graduate and pitcher for the Manawa Owls baseball team, intends to enjoy every minute of the summer at Lake Manawa, Iowa, before he is forced into the straitlaced business world of his father.

When Emily crashes into Carter at a roller skating rink, neither could guess what would come next. Will Carter strike out? Or will Emily cast her vote for a love that might cost her dreams?

My thoughts:

Ever since reading Making Waves last year by this very talented author, I have been eagerly anticipating a return to Lake Manawa with a book called A Great Catch.  Well....let's just say that I wish I could go back 100 years, and take up permanent residence there!  It's such a unique little place that is full of fun and adventure waiting to be experienced.

The beginning of this delightful story was laugh-out-loud hilarious!  Emily's two aunts were a piece of work with their matchmaking and nosiness...and boy, some of the fellas they wanted to set her up with had some of the goofiest names I've ever heard of!  Thank goodness that a certain Mr. Wormsley made a quick appearance along with a hasty exit because I knew he was not the one to assure Emily's future happiness. 

And then, there was Carter.  My, my, my...he'd make any girl's heart go to pitter-patterin'!  His attraction to Emily was the sweetest thing, too.  He didn't run off despite her horrible clumsiness, and even volunteered to teach her how to play baseball--definitely took a big risk there!

The biggest lesson I took from this book was that we should be cautious not to get too busy with "stuff."  For example, Emily was busy with being the president of her local suffragist organization, and that carried a load of responsibilities.  She was busy writing articles for local newspapers, giving speeches, and organizing a huge baseball event with a ladies baseball team.  Oh, and then there's Carter, and the makings of a promising relationship.  And through it all, her sweet grandmother kept asking her, "What about God, Emily?"  It took her awhile to recognize that God had fallen to last place on her list of priorities, but she soon realized that He had never left her side.

Lorna has created such an exciting place at Lake Manawa with neighborly people that are so much fun to read about!  I was so happy to read about some of the characters from book one, too...made me feel like I'd never left.  :o)  I imagine it'll be another year before I'll get to make another trip to Lake Manawa, but I'll have my bags packed and ready to go when the time comes!

5 Stars

Southern?  No
Sass?  Oh, yes!

**Many thanks to Revell for providing a copy for review.
**Click here to read my review of Lorna's first book, Making Waves.



3 comments:

  1. I love how you add the Southern and Sass rating at the bottom of your reviews. Just noticed that recently. Have you been doing it all along? It makes them stand out.

    Looks like a good book. :)

    Joy @ Edgy Inpsy Romance (who can't seem to log into Blogger and leave comments)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a fun book although Emily really annoyed me at times! Making Waves is definitely my favorite of the two. I hope Lorna has others planned for the series.
    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally loved this book...Lorna(I love her name BTW:)...is a great author! Makes going back in time loads of fun!
    Thanks for the post:)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)