Friday, September 9, 2011

Book Review: Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren/5 Stars

About the book:

Lisa Tawn Bergren's new YA series, River of Time, is romantic, historical fiction in which the plucky heroine doesn't have to fear a vampire's bite but must still fight for her life.

In Waterfall, American teenager Gabi Betarrini accidently finds herself in Fourteenth-Century Italy . . . Knights. Swords. Horses. Armor. And Italian hotties. Most American teens want an Italian vacation, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives there with their archaeologist parents. Stuck on yet another hot, dusty dig, they are bored out of their minds... until they place their hands atop handprints in an ancient tomb and find themselves catapulted into the Fourteenth Century and in the middle of a fierce battle between knights bent on killing one another.

My thoughts:

You remember when your parents always pointed out to you that "just because your friends do something doesn't mean you have to do it, too?"  More specifically, I believe the correct question was, "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?"  Well.  Dear old mom and dad just didn't know about the River of Time, and the "bridge" that took us there, did they?  *wink*

Yep, I jumped off a bridge and into a book that far exceeded my expectations.  I have always known that Lisa was an exceptional author, but she's gone and made me a fan for life with Waterfall.  I found myself smiling, laughing, and wishing that Gabi and Marcello could've met each other in the same century realistically.

I loved all of Gabi's 21st century thoughts as she wished she could go to Google for medicinal cures, or wondered why there was no deodorant, or most importantly, why there was *no* indoor plumbing (seriously, that'd be it for me...chamber pots just aren't my thing).  Lisa also did a great job with the language as Gabi was clearly out of her element at first.  Thank heavens, we have progressed enough to say "tomorrow" instead of "on the morrow," and that the use of "mayhap" has gone by the wayside.

But what impressed me the most was that this did not feel like a young adult novel.  Sure, there were some moments when Gabi's maturity faltered a bit, but overall, she was a believable teenager who handled this unusual journey through time quite admirably.  It was also nice to see that there are *great* books out there suitable for a younger audience that aren't full of vampires, zombies, or sex (not that I read any of those, but I'm tired of seeing them on bookstore shelves just the same).

So, I'm back on dry ground, no longer in the River of Time, but I'm itching to jump back in!  This book left me hanging in the worst sort of way, and the only way I'll recover will be to immediately find the next one, Cascade.  And if it wasn't already obvious, Waterfall has earned a well-deserved 5-star rating from this non-YA person, and a high recommendation for all audiences of Christian fiction.  :o)

**Many thanks to the publisher and the Amazon Vine program for providing a copy for review.

Southern?  No
Sass?  Yes




7 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! This is definitely one series that makes you glad you listened to all the high recommendations from others. ;) Waterfall is fabulous!!

    I hope this isn't a spoiler or anything (perhaps you could just consider it a warning...), but you're pretty much going to want Torrent in the worst way after you read Cascade, LOL! As it is, I got to read Waterfall and Cascade back to back in July (thanks to Kav's generosity!!), but I've had to wait until today to read Torrent. But believe me, I am super eager to dive into Torrent now that it's the weekend (my copy just arrived on Wednesday)!!!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay! Thanks for the terrific review, friend. So glad I converted you into a River Tribe Girl. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too. It's SUCH fun! SO glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have GOT to finish some of the four books I'm currently reading so that I can finally, FINALLY start this series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review!! You're not a YA reader? Funny, neither am I! Yet I totally LOVED this series! :-D Forever and always a top-ten favorite of mine!

    Real quick, I also want to let you know that you won the lovely blog award over on LoaW. Follow the link to find out how to claim it!

    http://katie-mccurdy.blogspot.com/2011/09/another-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the wonderful comments, ladies, and especially to you, Lisa, for writing a phenomenal start to this series!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)