Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Love of My Life and Star Wars

Wow...I cannot believe that 8 years ago today, I married the love of my life! It is unbelievable how time really does fly. I will not lie to you...there have been some really rocky roads that we've had to travel during our time together, but there have also been so many special moments that I would not trade for anything in this world. Today, I want to share some of my memories with you guys.

This first picture was taken the day after Alex proposed. We had to take a trip to Portland, Oregon for his best friend's wedding, and oh, what a trip it was. Our flights all day long from Nashville to Portland were delayed, and when we arrived, we knew we'd only get to spend that evening with his friend and future bride. Well, what a night we had. The plan was to spend some time in downtown Portland just hanging out, and not really doing anything in particular. As soon as we get down there and park the car, Chris (the groom) locks his keys in his car. Jackie (his bride-to-be) did not have her keys on her at all, either....yep, they were locked in the car as well. So, we spent a lovely hour waiting for a locksmith. (Don't forget now, that this same night was the night that I got a proposal.)

Finally, after the long and cold wait on the curb in downtown Portland, we decide against spending time downtown, and they suggest we check out the Rose Gardens. We all agreed on the new plan, and head on over there. I kid you not, I have never seen so many beautiful flowers in all my life, and every last one of them some different kind of rose. Ahhh....it was gorgeous. We spend a good 20 minutes or so looking around, and I say I need to find a restroom. Fortunately, there was one available right there at the garden. As I'm walking over to the restroom, I turn back and see that Alex is grabbing something out of Chris's trunk. When he sees that I'm watching, he stuffs his hands so far down in his pockets that I knew something was up. So, I finish up quickly in the restroom, and Alex is waiting outside for me when I come out. There was this little bench overlooking the entire garden, and he asked me to sit down with him for a minute. We talk about some inconsequential things for a little bit (cannot for the life of me remember any of that part of the conversation). All of a sudden, he tells me I have something on my back, so I lean up while I "think" he's taking care of whatever it is...I think I thought it was a bug. But no, he used that little diversion (sneaky man I married, I'm tellin' ya) to pull out the ring from his pocket, and say, "I was just wondering if you would want to marry me?" Probably the only time in my life that I have ever been that speechless....seriously. I could not have imagined a more perfect proposal....beautiful night, surrounded by a garden of roses. Oh, and obviously, I said yes. :o)

Nine months later, we got married. I tell ya, I shoulda thought about what I was getting myself into. See, my dear hubby is a Star Wars fanatic, and we're not talking about just a huge fan of the movies. We're talking about a collector. That man has got more figurines of the characters (he's probably got at least 10 different Darth Vaders...shoot, there's probably more than that) than I've ever seen in my life. So, it's been a little interesting through the years when various Star Wars happenings occur around the same time as our anniversary.

First, there was the year we got married--2002. Two days before the wedding, Episode 2 was released in the theatres. Here I am, breaking my back trying to get the church ready when he comes and asks me, "Hon, do you mind if I go see Episode 2?" Wanting to be an agreeable bride and future wife, I say, "Sure, go ahead." That should've been my clue for the rest of my life. On our honeymoon, we had to go see it again (which was mostly to satisfy him that I had gotten the opportunity to watch it, too).

Then, 3 years later--2005. Episode 3 is out, and guess what.....right around our anniversary again. I'm a little sketchy on the details of this one, but I want to say that we went to a midnight showing of this....and yep, still went to work the next morning at the crack of dawn.

So, now, we're at 2010. No more movies to go see, right? Wrong...well, sorta. Guess where we'll be going tonight? To see "Star Wars, In Concert." Yep, I really must love my husband.

8 comments:

  1. The Force is strong in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I like Star Wars - but I'm not an obsessed fan like that. My boys are more into it than I am. They can tell you who has which lightsabers and in which movie and all those tiny details. I just enjoyed the movies.

    Congrats on your anniversary and I hope The Force remains strong with you. lol :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is awesome! :D

    Whew! I hope Alex knows what a wonderful wife God sent him. My hubby has a few "passions", but none quite that intense. ;)

    That was a beautiful proposal! What a clever man you married.

    Thanks for sharing some of your journey with us.

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee~

    The force will always remain strong with us as long as hubby has anything to say about it! LOL!

    Lori~

    I think we each know how special the other person is. In spite of his crazy obsession with Star Wars, I love that man to pieces! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww that sounds like one of the sweetest proposals ever! No wonder you've been married for eight years!

    sorry I didn't get to stop by yesterday and wish you guys a Happy Aniversary so I'm doing it belatedly! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee~

    That's okay...I'm glad you stopped by today with those well wishes! :o) Sometimes, I don't get around to reading my blogs until one or two days after something new has been posted, so don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I know what you mean, there are so many great blogs out there that I follow that it's nearly impossible to visit them all in one day! Yours is one of my favorites though ;-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)