Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wednesday Hodge Podge


1. What does it mean to have the 'holiday spirit'?  For me, it means that my life would be so very different if Christmas did not exist.  I know scientists have proven all this mumbo-jumbo that Jesus was not born in the winter, but still, we celebrate his birth this time of the year.  If he had not come into this world to save me, there would be no reason for me to have the "holiday spirit" and celebrate Christmas each year.  Sure, it's nice to go shopping and exchange gifts, eat 'til we can't eat any more, and decorate 'til the cows come home, but all of that is show and fluff.  Jesus really is the reason for the season.


2. What sits atop your tree(s)? Why?  Well, right now it's a beautiful blue angel reminding me that the Angels came to announce the birth of Christ.  When my husband has his way on Christmas day when his parents come to visit, the angel will (unfortunately) be replaced by a Yoda tree topper that his mother saw fit to give him last year.  I'm tellin' ya...there is just no escapin' Star Wars in my house.

3. When was the last time you gave yourself a pat on the back?  Probably after I finished putting up the tree!

4. Which of your senses is most sensitive this time of year?  This year?  My sense of sight since I just got over a case of pinkeye last week...most miserable thing I've ever been through in my life.  It wouldn't have been so bad if it had just been the pinkeye because I had that under control.  But no, my eyelids saw fit to swell up to (at least) triple their size, and it was very uncomfortable.  Thankfully, that was over by week's end, and all is well again. 

But if we're talking about which sense is hightened normally, it would have to be smell.  I love all the Christmas potpourri options--the cinnamon, vanilla, pine (on some occasions)--not to mention the scents of everything cooking (well, baking, mostly). 
5. What do you have too much of in your kitchen?  At the moment, flatware.  Hubs and I just bought a new service for 8 which was 53 total pieces, and we haven't yet cleaned out the drawer of the old flatware that needed replacement....I don't even know how many pieces are in there!

6. What do you do for meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Big meal? Breakfast tradition? Open the cookie tins and have at it?  Lately, it's been something different every year.  Usually, I cook for Thanksgiving, and have everyone over to our house from my side and hubby's side of the family.  That didn't happen this year since we went out of town, so my Thanksgiving spread will now be on Christmas Eve with my family coming over.  Christmas Day will be spent with hubby's folks, and who knows when or what we'll eat.  If it's brunch like we did last year, I may have to start up the oven for some homemade cinnamon rolls....something that I seem to have become known for this past year.

7. What is the best thing about winter?  Clothes!  Well, for me, at least.  :o)  Most of my really cute clothes are for cold weather, so I love when I can pull out all my sweaters, and go to town for 3 to 4 months!  And thankfully, where I live, we don't really get the full winter experience with snow and such regularly....just the cold temps....so, me and my closet full of warm clothes get along just fine!  :o)

8. Insert your own random thought here.  Can't wait until later on today when I get my BBQ on!  It's our Christmas lunch/party today at work, and I love me some BBQ!  I think there might be some pecan pie off to the side somewhere, too...... We ladies also do an ornament exchange every year, and it's always lots of fun.  :o)

4 comments:

  1. Ha-yours is the first Yoda tree topper I've come across. It's nice you compromise and have a little time with each : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Florida so I don't get much sweater time. I'm sure enjoying it right now, though!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed all of your answers. And thanks for becoming a follower. Hopefully you will enjoy Hatteras Girl. I do enjoy reading! Back to Hodgepodge, I am with you on #1 He is the reason for the season. And pink-eye bless your heart. I have had it where my eyelids swell, not a fun thing and definitely not a pretty site. Bless your heart. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
    until next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep...love BBQ, need new flatware, and warm weather ware. You can have the pink eye though. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)