Monday, December 27, 2010

Book Review: The Blacksmith's Bravery by Susan Page Davis

About the book:

Ride shotgun alongside Vashti Edwards, saloon girl turned stagecoach driver, as she tries to redefine her life into a brave Christian citizen. Watch as Griffin Bane, local blacksmith and stagecoach manager, wrestles with his attraction to her. He questions his decision to allow her this work as the dangers on the trail increase. When a gang of outlaws target the stagecoach line, the Ladies Shooting Club goes into action again to protect their friends. Will they succeed in saving the stagecoach line and Vashti and Griffin, so they can build a future together?

My thoughts:

I have been a fan of this series since day one! I have especially wished to JOIN the Ladies Shooting Club, but then, I'd have to live to Fergus, Idaho in the late 1800's (on second thought, maybe I'd like to keep my indoor plumbing). Oh, well...I've been able to live vicariously through Trudy, Libby, and now Vashti through all three of these books, and each one has been a real treat.

Vashti was feisty with a capital F. No way, no how was she going to let Griffin Bane talk her out of one day being a stagecoach driver. Now I have to admit that a job like that is definitely not for the faint of heart, but Vashti filled the role beautifully. All she wanted was to be known for something other than a gentleman entertainer, which was part of her past. She knew that she'd never be looked upon as one of the finer ladies of Fergus, but she still craved a fresh start. That part of the story really stood out to me because, just like most people, I've done things in my life that I'm not proud of and wished for my slate to be wiped clean. That's not always possible in the human world, but for Vashti, she managed to earn the respect of several members of the town, and by the book's end, a few were even willing to risk their lives!

And Griffin....my, my, that fella just about made me swoon! He was a big hunk of a guy that deep down, had such a soft heart. I loved the addition of his nephew, Justin, to the story because in some ways, that forced Griffin to care for someone other than himself. Poor guy really was a loner until Justin and Vashti stepped into the picture!

I hate that this was the last I'll hear from the little town of Fergus, Idaho! I loved these characters and the originality of each story. Oh, and did I mention that I loved the Ladies Shooting Club? :o) Those gals were as reliable as the U.S. Mail, and always ready to do their part to protect their town, no matter what. The Blacksmith's Bravery gets a rating of 4 stars, and the hope that someday, there will be a 4th book to this great series. :o)

**Many thanks to Barbour Books through NetGalley for providing a copy for review.

**Click here to see my review of The Sheriff's Surrender, and here for The Gunsmith's Gallantry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)