Monday, April 23, 2012

Hangin' Out with Mindy Starns Clark and John Campbell Clark!

The opportunity to have more than one author interview per week comes around once in a blue moon here. That's why I'm so happy today to feature Mindy Starns Clark and her husband, John Campbell Clark! This is one of those interviews that I've been looking forward to for some time.  I've always been a fan of Mindy's books, especially her Amish mysteries. Having John here today with her...well, that's just a nice bonus, don'tcha think? :o)  Mindy and John recently collaborated on a book together, Echoes of Titanic, which was a fabulous mix of past history and present drama that had me glued to every single page.  I hope you'll join me today to hang out with Mindy and John with a quirky Q&A, and stay tuned to the very end for a special giveaway!

***

Not including writing, what was your first job?

Mindy: I was a travel agent. It didn't pay much, but the perks were incredible! I managed to see the world, and at huge discounts, thanks to being in the right business at the right time.

John: I was an accountant for the (now-defunct) shipping company US Lines.

Courtesy of Wikipedia
What is one movie that you could watch over and over again?

Mindy: Stranger than Fiction. I watch it every time I finish writing a book, as my own little personal celebration.

John: I'd say the Bourne trilogy, though if I have to pick one, I guess I liked the first one best.

If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

Mindy: Invisibility. I'd love to observe and listen in--which is sort of like what I'm doing as a writer anyway, I guess.

John: Flight! I've always wished I could fly!

What food do you love, even though you know you shouldn’t?

Mindy: A big juicy steak. Yum!

John: Cheetos. So bad for you, but so good.

My hubby would pull up a plate with both of with those choices!  Maybe not necessarily together on the same plate, but you get the drift...  :o)

Which magazine do you pick up when you’re stuck in a waiting room?

Mindy: Great question! Anything from The New Yorker to People, depending on my mood. If they have Ladies Home Journal, I'll usually grab that just to read the "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" column. I love comparing what I would suggest with what the counselor tells them to do. :)

John: Anything financial, like Money or Kiplinger's.

If those answers don't convince anyone that opposites attract, I don't know what would!

Have you ever met anyone famous?

Mindy: Yes, as a travel agent, I usually flew first class and often ended up next to famous people. Let's see... Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock, Tommy Lee Jones, Richard Simmons, Motley Crue, Ned Beatty, Morley Safer, the New Jersey Nets, and a lot more I can't think of right now. :)

John: I met and chatted with Katherine Hepburn on the streets of NYC.

Courtesy of nyctourist.com
Both: Whenever we see a Broadway show, we wait at the stage door afterwards to get autographs and have met lots of famous people that way, like Daniel Radcliffe, Matthew Broderick, Al Pacino, Shaun and David Cassidy, Brooke Shields, Liza Minelli, and many more.

I can't help but smile after reading your combined answer!  My hubby has been a theatre/movie buff since I've known him, and he's an autograph hound, too.  He was fortunate during our dating years to work for a local Broadway theatre, and has met several actors/musicians/entertainers and gotten their autographs as well.  Being on the fringes in that type of environment has it's advantages at times!  :o)

What did you do growing up that got you into trouble?

Mindy: Spilled bright purple nail polish on our brand new pale pastel green carpeting--my poor, sweet mom nearly went ballistic. She'd just had it installed the day before!

John: Threw snowballs at passersby. I still feel guilty about that!

Mindy, I can't help but cringe every time I read that!!  I bet you were grounded for a month!

You’re next in line to audition for American Idol. What song do you sing for the judges?

Mindy: Anything from Bette Midler, because we have the same limited range. Something like The Wind Beneath my Wings, or The Rose, either of which is really easy to sing but still sounds halfway decent.

John: Something from Bruce Springsteen, maybe The River.

***

Well, if no one else had a great time today, I know I sure did!  It's so fun when I find authors that I (or hubby) have things in common with.  :o)  And if you'd like to get to know Mindy a little bit better, feel free to visit her website here.

And I told you there was an extra special surprise, right?  In honor of the fact that we have not one, but two authors with us today, we're giving away not one, but TWO books!  :o)  Yep, there are two copies up for grabs of Mindy and John's latest book, Echoes of Titanic.  Believe me, you do NOT want to miss out on your chance to read this book!  I read it a couple of weeks ago, and WOW...what a fantastic read!  So, here's the dealio...

1.  Gotta be a US resident.

2.  Gotta leave a comment in the comment section below with your email address like so (yourname at provider dot com) or similar.

3.  Gotta leave that comment before Sunday, April 29th, 11:59 CST.

4.  Want an extra entry?  Be a follower of my blog through Google Friend Connect or Networked Blogs, or through email subscription.  Be sure to let me know in your comment, too.

Two winners will be chosen next Monday, April 30th, through third-party site, random.org, and the winners will have 48 hours to respond with their mailing address.  Failure to respond will result in a new winner (or winners) being chosen.  Odds of winning based on number of entrants.  I am not responsible for lost or damaged books.

Good luck everyone, and thanks for stopping by!

**Thanks so much to Jeane Wynn with Wynn-Wynn Media for her help with today's interview.

10 comments:

  1. Christine Cooper4/23/2012 8:10 PM

    I would love to win the book!
    christinecooper@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun couple! I'm dying to read Echoes of Titanic, add me please!
    I'm a subscriber.
    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the interview with both authors!

    I follow via e-mail.

    Patty
    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the book for our church library. We have several people who love Mindy's books(including me!). We have several already in the library. Is this a new way of giving the books away? Do we have to go to the Random site and check on winners or do they email us?
    Candace Betts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to win the book. One of my favorite authors is Mindy Starns Clark. Love the interview. Thanks so much for the giveaway.

    schmitlin(at) elmore(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mindy Starns Clark! This book sounds like another winner.

    I follow your blog through google.

    sundaisy920 at gmail dot com

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the chance to read this wonderful novel...
    i'm a follower, too :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been researching and writing about a Titanic survivor, and when I visited your blog site today I know I want to read this book.
    It looks like a good read, and I am a follower, as well.
    Thanks for the opportunity.

    BrendaB
    baldridgeb@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love this interesting book, thank you for the giveaway.

    Carmee Ross or miaross1961@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your interviews and reviews. Thanks so much. This one looks great. I'm also an email subscriber.

    Erin
    erinb1 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)