Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Not What I Would Consider Historical, but Still a Riveting Read - From This Day Forward by Margaret Daley/3 Stars

I really, really wanted to give this book more than 3 stars, but in good conscience, I just couldn't. The story on it's own was riveting beyond belief, but I struggled to believe it was a historical novel, especially one set in the early 1800's. Sure, they had no electricity, they farmed their land, they got hot in the summertime because of no air conditioning, but nothing really transported me almost 200 years back in time. I was also easily bored with all the wishy-washy mentions of Rachel returning to England, as well as Nathan thinking that was the best plan for her, too. One other thing that just niggled at me was the overuse of the word "pivot." I know that's small, but when a word that's not used often in every-day conversation is used so much in the span of 300 pages, it becomes noticeable.

Truly, though, I loved the story itself--a stubborn woman with almost nothing to her name determined to make a life for herself and her newborn daughter. Throw in a couple of surprise young'uns that were spitfires at first, then sweethearts shortly thereafter, along with a half-way decent mystery, and it was a mostly pleasing read. However, when I read a historical novel, I long for it to take me back to that distant time and place so I can feel apart of it. That was missing here, and it was too difficult to overlook.

3 Stars

Southern?  Yes, set in South Carolina
Sass?  No

Summary of From This Day Forward:

Penniless, pregnant, and newly widowed immigrant Rachel Gordon doesn’t believe her situation could get any worse...until she meets her new neighbors.  Shortly after the War of 1812, Rachel and her husband set out from England for a plantation in South Carolina, which he had purchased sight unseen. However, while en route, Tom Gordon fell overboard and drowned, leaving Rachel, frightened and alone, to make a home for her and her newborn.

Can a battle-scarred American physician who comes to her rescue also heal her wounded heart?

**Many thanks to the publisher for providing a copy for review.

10 comments:

  1. Awww....I hate you didn't like it more. I HAD just added it to the top of my TBR pile. I might push it back a little now, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it wasn't terrible, but those few things did detract from the overall experience. Don't discount it too early. :o)

      Delete
  2. Just from reading her authoring those Love Inspired novels, Margaret is not my favorite author. As a result, I probably won't snag this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi,

      I had read one of her LI books before reading this one, and wasn't really crazy about it. And that, of course, had me a little nervous going into this one. Most authors I've read don't make the transition easily from the shorter to longer format. That was not a problem here. The story was full, but with very little filler. I'd venture to say I'd read another full-length novel by her.

      Delete
  3. Sounds blah. But thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love honest reviews. I know I can trust you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. It's tough to be this honest sometimes, ya know? Part of the job, though.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Christy. I am pleased to read honest reviews too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I think most readers appreciate it. However, when one book doesn't work for me, sometimes it's great for someone else.

      Delete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)