Thursday, October 21, 2010

Books I Grew Up With (Borrowed from Renee)

Thanks to Renee for providing this idea and a trip down memory lane!  :o)

I grew up with a love for reading.  My dad and I used to always read together every night before I went to sleep, usually Bible stories from one of 3 or 4 mainstay books.  Most of my other books were passed down from my brother, and most of them were Little Golden Books.  Believe it or not, my parents still have all of those books on a bookshelf in my old room waiting for the day when I start my own family.  My favorite of those books was The Poky Little Puppy.

I also grew up reading Little Women, which increased my love of the early version of the movie with Liz Taylor as well as the updated version with Winona Ryder.


Then, I got into the series books...and you'd be right if you guessed that I read every Babysitter's Club book I could get my hands on!  I can't even count how many I went through in a week's time, and I was a regular at my local library so I could check out as many as I could.  :o)  Another favorite of mine were the Trixie Belden books.  I didn't read as many of these because they seemed harder to come by, but I loved 'em just the same.  And last, but not least, were some of Lurlene McDaniel's books (not pictured).  When I was in junior high, I devoured these, and I think I shed some tears through every one....awesome, awesome books.  :o)


After all my great fun with all of these books so far, I started to get a bit more serious about reading.  I remember a group of girls that I used to hang out with in school when I was a freshman.  It seemed that reading a romance was really the cat's meow for us, and it was about the time when Multnomah released their line of Palisades romances.  These lasted for a few years (thankfully, for us girls).  :o)  The first one I read that glued me to Christian fiction was Secrets by Robin Jones Gunn.  This was the first book in her Glenbrooke series, and of course, after I read this one, I had to read all of the others (well, all of the other books she had written up to that point, anyway).  Pictured below is the original cover...which always was my favorite.  :o)



Thanks again, Renee, for helping me remember some great reading memories!


4 comments:

  1. Haha well I read all of those too except for the Trixie Belden series! The books by Lurlene McDaniel were some of the first, I guess you could say, romances that I read and I was like you...cried through every one!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Renee! I think Don't Die, My Love was the one where I cried for days...sad, sad, sad story, but VERY good. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, you're making me want to do one of these posts. Maybe for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I think I'm going to do a similar post. How fun. I loved Little Women too. I also read Trixie Belden.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)