Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chess Squares Recipe


Well, it's that time of year again!  Time to start breaking out the cookbooks, and working on the meal plans for holiday dinners.  :o)  Personally, I love it.  I love putting out a spread and having my whole family over for Thanksgiving.  I dole out responsibilities to a few people--my mom must always bring her banana pudding, my mother-in-law must always make the dressing, my aunt must always bring her green bean casserole and deviled eggs...you get the picture.  Unfortunately, this year, we'll be out of town...so the Thanksgiving spread at my house won't happen again until next year (at least, I hope it does).  We'll be visiting some family, so the best recipes for me to make this year are ones that don't require refrigeration or to stay hot.  So....here's one of my mainstays that I know I'll be toting to Thanksgiving this year....and it's soooo easy!  (I apologize that I don't have a pic.)

Chess Squares

Crust:

1 Box butter cake mix
1 Stick butter
1 egg

Filling:

1 8 oz. box cream cheese
3 eggs
1 lb. box powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all of the crust ingredients together and press into a 9X13 baking dish.  Next, mix all of the filling ingredients together.  Pour on top of crust.  Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.  Wait until cool before cutting into squares.

Couple of suggestions:

*I've found that I Can't Believe It's Not Butter works best for the crust.  I have tried all sorts of different brands, and find this one works best.

*Nuke the cream cheese just a bit before you start to mix it with the other filling ingredients.  Otherwise, it's a pain to try to mix.

I'm linking up to Amy's 2nd Annual Fall Festival Recipe Exchange.

7 comments:

  1. I'm trying to envision what this will be like but with all those yummy ingredients I can imagine it's delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    PS--holidays is all about doling out responsibilities, huh? Great planning, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, Trish....they're super yummy!! Might be a little rich for some people, but I have a serious sweet tooth problem so they're perfect for me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had chess squares forever! I forgot how easy they seem - thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chess pie was a childhood favorite from my grandmother...can't imagine why a "square" wouldn't be just as awesome! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe. Easy and delish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds cheesecake-ish. I love cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are killing me with that recipe. I want some NOW. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!! They make me happier than cold sweet tea on a hot summer day! :o)